Water is a very essential part of our lives. To ensure that we have a steady supply and availability of clean water, we will require a convenient storage . Below, we are going to look at best water tanks in Kenya that can be used for the above purpose.
Spinpesa, Spin and Win. Spin Now
These two types of water tanks are the best;
- Plastic water tanks
- Steel water tanks
We will look at them in details in this article including reasons as to why you should choose each and the type that is ultimately the best.
What should a good water tank have?
A water tank should have features that will give it the best performance capabilities which include:
- Rust resistance, this will prevent the water from being contaminated with particles that comes from a rusting material. A tank that does not rust will also serve for a very long time.
- UV light blockage, the tank should be able to totally block sunlight, this ensures that algae and other living organisms that require sunlight to grow in water will not have a chance of growing leaving your water safe for drinking.
- Easy to clean, with time, dirt, especially solid dirt from the water you collect will settle at the bottom of the tank. A good tank should provide means to easily remove such dirt.
- Durable, a good water tank should have a long service life, some manufacturers will also provide years warranties to tanks the supply.
Types of water tanks in Kenya
1. Plastic water tanks
These are some of the most popular and preferred water tanks in Kenya. Plastic water tanks are preferred for various reasons including:
- Easy to install
- Full sunlight blockage design
- Available in various sizes/capacities
- Cost effective
- Easy to clean
- Low maintenance cost
NOTE: A black plastic water tank is recommended for purpose of UV light protection.
As you can see above, the plastic water tanks have a lot of benefits making them more popular. When buying one, make sure you pick the one which suit your need in regard to capacity, design and color.
After buying a plastic tank, you will need to follow some guidelines when installing as listed below:
- The tank should be placed on a flat raised surface.
- Perforate an outlet hole at the bottom, an overflow hole and inlet hole at the top.
- Do not use a hot rod when making the holes.
Some plastic tanks should not be placed on bear soil, this is because soil may contain chemicals that react with the plastic making the tank to wear out.
Top plastic tanks manufacturers in Kenya and top suppliers
Below are some of the most popular plastic water tanks manufacturers. You can order and compare prices from the suppliers below on The Brands app. Click to install from Google playstore.
1. Kentanks tanks
The manufacturer of the tanks, Kentainers provides the tanks in capacities ranging between 500 liters to 10,000 liters and is one of the most reputable in Kenya.
2. Jumbo tanks
Jumbo tanks are available in between the capacities of 250 liters to 16,000 liters and are supplied by Jumbo tanks.
The tanks are available between capacities of 50 liters and 24,000 liters, the tanks are supplied by TopTanks.
4. Roto tanks
These tanks are supplied by Rotomoulders and are available between a capacity of 100 liters to 24,000 liters.
5. Techno tanks
Techno-plast offers quality plastic water tanks that are available from 200 Liters to 30,000 Liters.
6. Premiere tanks
Yet another plastic tanks manufacturer that offer quality tanks which are available in different shapes and colors. See more details on their website.
Above are just but some of the brands you can pick a plastic tank from, you will however find more plastic water tanks brands in the market and you can still consider them as far as they have a good reputation.
2. Steel water tanks
Steel water tanks are also a good choice, they are however not as popular as the plastic water tanks, some of the advantages of the steel water tanks are as below:
- Highly durable, this tanks serve for a very long time.
- Rust resistant, unlike other metallic tanks, the steel tanks do not rust giving the tanks a long service life and ensuring that your water is safe for drinking.
- High storage capacities, steel tanks have very high storage capacities, some can even service a whole community.
- Full UV protection, the steel water tanks are sealed in all sides and have a shiny surface that reflects sunlight. This makes sure that sunlight is kept off all the time hence your water is always safe.
Installation modes of steel tanks
With respect to your need, space available and capital, you can install the steel tank in one of the following methods;
1. On ground installations
With this kind of installation, the tank will only need a lowly raised surface that maybe cemented just to prevent direct contact of the tank with the soil.
2. Underground installation
With this kind of installations, the walls and base of the ground will a have a material preventing direct contact of the tank with the soil. This type of installation is not very common.
3. Raised steel water tanks
In this type of installation, the tank is usually raised very high, commonly, this is done to create enough pressure for gravity supply of water, that is, without the need of a pump. With this kind of an installation, you will require a civil engineer/structural engineer. The purpose of the engineer is to design you a safe steel work structure that will support the tank without failing in future. The engineer usually put into consideration the capacity of the tank and the bearing capacity of the soil, with this together with other factors such as height of the structure and impact of wind, the engineer will produce a safe structure.
From the above you will note that steel tanks are expensive, not only when purchasing but also when installing. It is for this reason that steel tanks are not as popular as plastic water tanks.
Accessories needed with the water tanks
After buying a water tank, you will realize that you will need more items, this includes:
In case of home storage use, you may require gutters to collect rain water from your iron sheets or roof top. The most recommended gutters are the plastic type since they do not rust overtime as compared to the metallic ones.
In case you are supplying water to a long distance, you will require pipes for the purpose.
The supplier will most likely recommend this, the taps are essential if you want to use water at the tank installation point.
This will be needed to allow efficient and convenient water use in different parts of the building. Check here for a guide on choosing the best sinks.
Also see: Guide on buying bowl toilets
Above, we have seen the best types on water tanks you can use for the purpose of storing water, we hope you can now make the best decision. Thanks!!